Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Dear Jack


Tonight I had the privilege of watching Dear Jack, a documentary about Andrew McMahon the lead singer of Something Corporate and Jack’s Mannequin. 


 I love both bands so much and I have been to both a Jack’s Mannequin concert as well as a Something Corporate Reunion Tour. Both times at the concerts I felt such an amazing energy from Andrew and his band. You can tell that he is passionate about what he does and that he loves his music. I grew up in a hole aka Arco, Idaho. Population: 1,000 and shrinking. We didn’t have internet and on a good day we had two TV channels and maybe one radio station. I knew nothing about music and what was out there other than a few cd’s I received from friends or what I heard on the radio. This all predates IPods, Mp3’s and Wi-Fi and all that good junk that we can’t seem to function without now. I met a guy while working at a sporting goods store several years later. He introduced me to pretty much all the important music anybody needs to have in their lives. The first song he played for me was Konstantine by Something Corporate. I loved it and was amazed by all the passion and the strength of the lyrics. Thus began my lifelong love for Andrew McMahon.

Anyways, I say all of this to say that Dear Jack is a heartbreaking yet inspiring documentary about Andrew’s battle with leukemia. It shows footage captured personally by Andrew day by day and what he is experiencing with hair loss and pain from the treatment and the effect on his family and music career. Having had many people in my family with cancer I can relate to all of this all too well. I also found out that Andrew was going through this battle at the same time as my mom was experiencing stomach cancer. I can only say that being positive and optimistic through tough times definitely has a great impact on the results. You can see that through all of the footage.  This video was amazing and I recommend everyone to rent it or buy it or borrow it from someone because it will give you a greater appreciation for life and for music and the power of putting your thoughts on paper and for family and friends. 

here is a link to Andrew's foundation for young people with cancer. VISIT IT! ...maybe help out?!

No comments:

Post a Comment